Friday, September 30, 2011

Owen 15 month update

Oh boy, my little guy will be 15 months old in a week which is one year adjusted for him. So if anyone actually reads this blog here's a little update on where Little O is at these days.

O is still a tiny man who, when weighed at the doctors the other day with pants, tee shirt and diaper on was 18 pounds even so I'm guessing he is really hovering somewhere around 17 1/2 pounds. Really, he has tripled a normal full term baby's birth weight by one year adjusted. His face is loosing the baby look and looks very much toddler-ish. although his weigh gain has been slow over the past few months he has stretched out and looks like he is going to be tall like Daddy. He has overcome his eating issues and now handles all thick purees well and is even eating
foods with more texture, like tiny pieces of chicken. He has six teeth and is working on his molers so eating should get easier when those come through.

This pic was taking in August (the latest uploaded pic on this computer), and is his outside face. He always makes this face when we walk outside and especially in the sun. That boy sure loves living at the beach!



Developmentally O learned how to scoot a couple of weeks ago and gets up on his hands and knees but when he goes to crawl goes back onto his tummy and does his cute little army scoot where he reaches forward with his hands and pushes off the ground with his feet/toes. He is having a PT evaluation this coming Monday but since he is progressing at this point I don't see him needing physical therapy. We'll see what she thinks and we will make sure he gets any therapy that could help him.

Speech wise he says Dada when he feels like it but is still not saying any other words or many consonant sounds that are expected by the adjusted age he is at- such as the "m" sound. So no "mama" yet. Oh well, it will come, O has his own timing for EVERYTHING! We are scheduled to start speech therapy once a week but since Hatteras is still cut off since Hurricane Irene, with only a two hour ferry to get to Nags Head, we have not started the therapy yet. Once we move up the beach in a few weeks O's speech therapy will be in our new home - isn't that awesome?!I love how Early Intervention here in North Carolina has all therapy taking place in the home. (although they are not able to go as far south as we are now here on H.I.)

Despite his developmental delays he his just getting more and more fun! He plays peak a boo with anything around him and laughs at everything. At least a couple of times a day he gets in a really laughing mood and keeps cracking himself up. He really is the happiest baby I've ever known, he never has woken up in a bad mood, which makes being around him all day really pleasant. I love my job!

O has handled our "homeless" situation really well. For those of you who didn't hear the situation of our town after Hurricane Irene, our home along with many others, was flooded. We had 18 inches throughout our single floor house but others had as much as three and a half feet. So we have moved around several times between friends and family's homes and now are living in the condos Zack's employer owns, watermensretreat.com. It is gorgeous here in this three bedroom, three bath condo and a huge blessing to be in a furnished place since all of our furniture was destroyed in the floodwater. We are so thankful for God's provisions!! We are also so thankful to Zack's employers for being so accommodating!

I'll try to post updated photos when I have access to them.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany! This is the first time I've read your blog (I found it thanks to the new FB layout, which I don't love, but I'm glad I found this). It's good to hear you are doing well and that little O is so healthy and beautiful.
    ~Amy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little man you have! Thanks for sharing your update, Beth. It is good to hear the blessings you are experiencing through trials and encouraging to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, thanks for updating! O is very handsome and I am glad to read the Lord has blessed your family through his progress in life and through your current housing situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Beth! It was good to read the update, and hear how God is taking care of your family. Sounds like Owen is doing SPLENDIDLY! I have friends who have babies that always did the army crawl. Sam (15 months) just started saying mama this week- and he was full-term. I am glad God is blessing y'all abundantly, even in the storms!
    Sarah (Zack's cousin)

    ReplyDelete